Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Bad news is never good...

I'll start with my act of service - I really wanted to do something for Josh today since I have yet to do something for him since this started but today was so busy, dog had surgery, cyber school for Avri, dance class, piano lessons, gutter people coming to give quotes on our overflowing gutter issues and homework, homework, homework!  So it wasn't the biggest thing but I brought in the garbage cans and the recycling bins and set them back up in there spots.  I know kinda sad, he got a little gipped but he did thank me for it!!  And hey the wheels are broken on the darn cans and it is not easy to drag them up the driveway which is a bit of a hill!! And it makes me appreciate the fact that he does this for me every week!!  Or for our family I should say!  I have to say Josh is so wonderful, he never complains about anything, he just gets things done.  Unlike me who probably complains enough for the two of us!!  I am pretty fortunate to married to such a patient guy, he is really my best friend, I just love him!  Ok thats my mushy thought for the day!!

It's actually been a hard day.  Our dear Piper had to have surgery for what we thought was a sebaceous  cyst on her back hip.  I dropped her off at the vet at 8am (no problem at all when you need to get a bunch of kids to school for 8:20am but we managed.  Then I had to pick her up at 4pm and some how get three kids to a dance class at 4:30 on the other side of town!!  It was challenging but we did it!  I am glad I went by myself to pick her up from the vet though.  When I went in to get her the receptionist said - George want to talk to you about having the lump sent off to pathology.  I was surprised because yesterday he said he thought it was just a cyst?  So she went and got him and he said that to him it looked like it could be cancerous.  He said the lump was very unusual along with the tissue around it.  He felt it should be sent off so we could have a better picture of what was going on.  So with a huge lump in my throat I paid the $500 bill and put my poor sweet piper in the van to go home.  As soon as I closed the van door my heart broke.  I just wasn't expecting that.  She is only 7 1/2 and she has been pretty healthy.  Although I do have to say yesterday when he was squeezing it and I got a good look I thought it looked a little worse than the average cyst?  You know I will be ok if she is sick and not got a whole lot longer to be with our family.  What I am not ok with is telling my 4 girls this.  The will be devastated.  I had tears in my eyes several times since, thinking about it and watching Avri sit on the floor in front of her bed for 30 minutes tonight just patting her and loving her.  Avri has had her since she was 4 years old - they have grown up together.  Avri is just like me, she is a total animal lover.  I remember being a child and loosing a pet and how hard that was and I just want her or the other girls to have to go through that.

So this brings me to my gratitude thought for the day.  I am grateful for Piper.  Funny how when something is threatened to be taken away we all of sudden feel more attached.  I love her, she is a great dog.  She is smart and gentle and loyal and protective.  She is the sweetest dog I have ever known.  I feel safe at home when Josh is out and she is here with me and the girls.  I feel safe when I walk or run on the dyke with her.  She keeps me company when I garden outside, or wash the van.  She is a wonderful companion and is she is incredibly good with all children.  All of sudden all the things she has done to drive me crazy like dig a hole or rip flowers out of my garden, get into the garbage or have nasty diarrhea on my brand new $300 cream shag area rug, seem insignificant! I guess we will see what the future holds, it may be ok - although the look on the vets face and what he said didn't make me feel very confident.  We find out next week what the pathology report says.  Til then I will not being saying anything to the kids and I will hope for the best.

Here are a few shots of the recovering Piper.

Feelin a little sleepy after the anesthetic.


OUCH!!  The incision is about 4 inches or so.


You know its bad when you are even getting sympathy from the cat!!

5 comments:

  1. Awww poor little conehead :(

    I love Piper too, I remember being followed around whenever I was there and the girls and I were outside playing haha such a sweety!

    *Here's hoping for the best* xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. THanks Deb :) We are hoping for the best, we'll know more in a week til then fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww poor pup.. I hope she recovers and everything comes back fine

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope Piper will be OK. and Josh is the lucky one to have such a wonderful wife, friend, and life partner. You're a beautiful person inside and out, <3

    ReplyDelete