Thursday, January 12, 2012

Peacocks and Music.

Well I sort of failed at the new years resolution today - kind of half failed I guess.  It was a very busy day and it really just zipped by and it wasn't until I walked out the door for a baby shower at 6:00pm that I realized I hadn't really done my act of service for someone in my immediate family today.  I don't even know where the day went.  While I was flying into Costco at top speed this afternoon to get some much needed groceries I saw something kind of catch my eye in the frozen dirt in the garden bed where we parked.  I bent over to get a closer look and I noticed that it was a feather - a peacock feather!  It had the peacock eye on the end of it and it was quite pretty, so I picked it up and as I did I was thinking how much Zoe would love to take this to school for kindergarden show and tell!  That was what one part of me was the thinking, the other part was thinking ewwwwwww, who knows how many weird and nasty germs are festering on this feather, don't even think about picking it up (never mind bringing it home for your daughter to tote around and take to school with her.)  But the soft side of me took over when I thought of the delight it would bring to Zoe, who every week looks for something unique and fun to bring for show and tell.  I was right - she was beyond excited when I showed it to her.  Her brown eyes got big as saucers when she saw it and I told her should could have it.  Then she reminded me of the time we had a peacock in our yard!!  Really we did!  A few years ago we were out front and the kids were riding around on bikes and what do you know this peacock comes sauntering up our driveway.  It stayed in our back yard for 2 days!!  The cat was horrified  by it and the dog was intrigued!   Then it got scared for whatever reason and let out this HONKING noise that was so loud it scared us all half to death!!  We ever have video of it that the kids love to watch!  So after reminiscing about the peacock Zoe says "I am pretty sure this feather is from that peacock that was in your yard mom!"  What a sweetheart, I am glad I went against my first eww gross instincts and kept the feather for her!!

My gratitude thought for the day is for music.  Music is a huge part of my life as well as my families life.  We enjoy all types of music in this house!  I like the way music can cheer me up - I love to listen to it loud when I am driving by myself in the van.  I love to listen to quiet music when I am feeling a little mellow. I love the way it makes we push harder when I am running, and I love how much my kids love it - Leah loves to be sung too before nap or bedtime (everyone of our kids loved to be sung to before bedtime).  In fact Leah loves to sing too - sometimes I am out in a different room and I can here her singing the same songs to her dolls that I sing to her.  Every morning when she wakes up she sings to herself in her crib.  It instantly puts me in a good mood (no easy feat when you are not a morning person!).  I love country music, I love pop music, I love kids music, I love jazz, I love classical, I love christmas, I love church music - I love it all!  I also love to sing.  I am not the best singer, and I am certainly not the most confident singer but I love to sing.  I think music is such a great way to express yourself!  I wish I had of taken the piano lessons for longer as a child.  I sure hope my girls stick with it too!

Anyhow off to bed, I get up early on Fridays to cook hot breakfast for the family.  Tomorrow we are having home made waffles with strawberries and whip cream :)  YUMMMMM!  And we have a busy weekend ahead of us.  We have a big dance competition on Saturday, a birthday party tomorrow night, a church activity and the list goes on!  Happy Weekend.

1 comment:

  1. I remember your kids requesting LOTS of songs before bed, and singing them first hymns and when I ran out of memorised hymns... Disney songs!! hahaha

    ReplyDelete