Wednesday, January 4, 2012

So Far So Good!

Day two - I think what is really great about my 2 New Years Goals which are 1) to provide and act of service every day for at least one person in my immediate family and 2) to post something that I am grateful for, is that all day I am thinking about this.  Of course I am sure every day won't be quite so charitable but today I was really thinking about it and trying to store up a few ideas for the next few days!

Today I got up early (ok just before 7am, but hey that is very early for a non-morning person like me!!) to bake cookies for the kids to take in their lunches.  School lunches are like the bane of my exsistance sometimes.  3 kids, they all like and dislike different things and their school is 100% nut free.  Not just peanut free, nut free.  I don't have a problem with this as I can only imagine the stress this causes parents whose children have life threatening allergies, but wow is it a challenge to make lunches every day.  Anyway today I decided I would get up early to make their favorite (nut free) chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with rice crispies in them YUMMMM!!  In fact I'll add the recipe so you can try it out and see for yourselves that these are in fact very yummy, and easy!!

Today I am grateful for a person - my 8 year old (almost 9!!) daughter Mika.  Mika is probably my most challenging child most of the time, but she has a side to her that is an absolute gift to me.  She loves to help.  She always has, since she was a tiny girl, loved to help.  Her teachers comment all the time on how helpful she is in the classroom, everything from clean up to helping others with their work.  And she does it out of the pure love of doing it.  Today i was in a rush (pretty common for this household) to get dinner in the oven.  She helped me by opening a few cans of black beans, grating some cheese, stirring and mixing while I did some chopping.  She emptied my dishwasher, then she happily entertained Leah (who was grouchy cause she missed her nap) while I finished up dinner.  I came upstairs and she was sitting in the rocking chair reading her a story while Leah sang songs beside her.  It melted my heart.  At that moment I thought, I am so grateful for her and I know I always will be.  I know that she is always going to want to be part of our lives and help us.  It is just who she is and I am so proud of her!  p.s. the chicken enchilada's she helped me make were pretty good too!!

Rocky Road Cookies
1 cup butter (softened)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 teas vanilla
1/2 teas baking powder
1 teas baking soda
1/4 teas salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup white flour (can substitute all white)
1 bag mini choc chip ( reg size work bit the mini are yummy!!)
1 3/4 cups rolled oats
1 3/4 cups of rice crispies

cream butter and sugars, add eggs and vanilla and mix well.  mix baking powder, baking soda, salt and both flours together add to cream mixture, mix til just mixed, add oats, crispies, and choc chips mix until just mixed (I use kitchen aid on slow setting).  Drop by spoonfuls onto greased cookies sheet ( I bake on the silpat mats - so easy!!) Bake for approx. 10 min at 350 til lightly browned, LIGHTLY is the key.  They should be soft and chewy!!

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment